Handmade Byzantine Icon of Panagia Hodegetria or "Directress".
The miraculous Icon of Panagia Hodegetria is historically the first icon of our Church as mentioned in the Magalynario of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos:
"Speechless be the lips of the impious who refuse to reverence thy revered icon which is known by the name Directress, and which hath been depicted for us by the Apostle Luke the Evangelist."
According to tradition, the Icon derives its name from a miracle performed by the Virgin Mary. Specifically, she appeared to two blind people and led them to the Monastery of Panagia Hodegetria in Constantinople where she restored their sight.
The Icon of Panagia Hodegetria was for many years in the Holy Monastery of Vatopedi on Mount Athos until 1730, when, miraculously, it appearead in the Holy Monastery of Xenophontos. The Icon was taken by the monks back to its place, but it was again mysteriously found in the Holy Monastery of Xenophon.
Ever since, the icon can be found and worshiped in the Holy Monastery of Xenophontos, where it was placed by the monks who respected the will of Panagia.
The Icon of Panagia Hodegetria is an exact copy of Byzantine art and is created by experienced craftsmen using the method of gold printing where hagiographic leaves of 22 karat gold are applied in detail to decorate the background.
During the final processing, the icon is painted with dark red color around the perimeter and polished with a special varnish to maintain its shine.
It is offered in level or recessed wooden surface and is suitable for wall mounting.
Feast: June 20
Iconographer: Hieromonk Gabriel, Mount Athos
Availability: Made to order, usually ships within 5 to 10 days.
Add to Cart