Handmade Byzantine Icon of Panagia the Glykophilousa of the Don. The icon depicts Panagia caring for her Son, Jesus Christ.
The miraculous Icon of Panagia the Glykophilousa ("Sweet Kissing") of Don refers to the battle between the khan of the Mamai Tatars and the ruler of Moscow, Dmitry Donskoy, which took place in 1380 on the Kulikovo plain of Southern Russia.
To strengthen the Orthodox army, the Cossacks of the Don region brought the Icon of the Virgin Mary from the Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin in the city of Sirotin.
After the historic victory, the Cossacks donated the Icon of Panagia the Glykophilousa of the Don to Dmitry Donskoi, who moved it to the Cathedral of the Assumption in Moscow.
The Icon of Panagia the Glykophilousa of the Don is an exact copy of Byzantine art and is made with devotion and respect by experienced craftsmen of the Christian tradition.
It is created using the technique of gold printing while its background consists of hagiographic leaves of 22 carat gold which are applied in detail.
During the final processing, the Icon is painted with dark red color around the perimeter and polished with a special varnish to maintain its shine.
It is offered in level or recessed wooden surface and is suitable for wall mounting.
Iconographer: Monk Michael, Mount Athos
Availability: Made to order, usually ships within 5 to 10 days.
Add to Cart